Frequently Asked Questions
1) When will the convention catalogs be mailed? The convention hard copy catalogs have all been mailed. Our e-catalog is still available for instant download.
2) I am excited and making my final travel arrangements. When will rabbits and cavies be accepted for arrival? You may begin cooping animals as early as 6 PM on Thursday, October 27, 2022, through Saturday, October 29 at 4:00 PM. The showroom will be open until midnight on Friday night to receive animals. All animals must be cooped and checked in by 4:00 PM Saturday evening. Many exhibitors arrive on Friday. Remember, Rabbitcon will be taking place on Friday, October 28, and Saturday, October 29. There will also be tours and other activities on Saturday, October 29. Judging begins on Sunday morning. Please check the convention catalog for a detailed schedule as there is much more information than can be listed here. In case it is your first convention please beware there are many, many activities including multiple things happening at the same time. Please study the schedules and plan accordingly.
3) I am on a budget, do I have to rent a car? Maybe. It might not be necessary. The airport is only a 5-minute drive from the convention center. Many shuttle services and ride-sharing services are available to and from the Reno airport at a reasonable cost. If staying at the headquarters hotel, the Atlantis has a skywalk directly to the showroom.
4) May I bring extra animals to sell? Yes and No. All animals on the convention center grounds must be entered in the show and exhibitors are encouraged to enter as many animals as they wish including those show animals they wish to sell. Any extra animals must remain completely off the fairgrounds. It is generally not recommended that you bring any animals that are not entered into the show. That is not the purpose of the convention. Please see the complete convention show rules and the ARBA Convention Rules.
5) I cannot attend, may I ship animals to the show? Yes, please see the official catalog for information on air freight entries. See question 18, below.
6) I want to bring my spouse, are there any (non-animal) activities planned? Yes, please see the catalog for many special tours and attractions.
7. When is the Entry Deadline? The entry deadline is September 26, 2022, for snail mail entries and October 10, 2022, for web entries.
8) What type of bedding material will be provided? The primary bedding will be white pine shavings. All exhibitors are asked to remove wet or soiled bedding daily.
9) What type of feed will be provided? The convention provides rabbit pellets, fresh water, and supplemental hay. The official feeds of the 99th ARBA convention are listed below. It will include most major national brands and most local brands.
Purina - Show, Complete, Pro and High Fiber
10) Will feed and water cups be provided? Our source for metal feed cups we have relied on since 2001, Silgan Containers, closed their plant in Wisconsin. We are currently working on an alternative source. We will update you here as soon as we have a source.
***Update- Jesse Kraft with Silgan Containers has found cans for us in a plant in Savage, MN. So YES cans for feed and water will be available on a limited use basis.
11) If I purchase rabbits or cavies, will a veterinarian be available for airline health certificates? An official convention veterinarian will be available to provide health exams and certificates at specified times posted in the showroom.
12) Are health certificates required if I am driving to Reno? All animals exhibited at the show must be in a healthy condition with no signs of communicable disease. The state of Nevada, like most states, does require a health certificate to bring rabbits into the state. For more information on Nevada’s requirements visit: https://agri.nv.gov/Animals/Animal_Disease/Import_Requirements/ Please note: Nevada does not have border checkpoints where certificates must be presented nor are we aware of any government agency that plan to inspect health certificates at the show. Although you are not required to provide a health certificate to the committee, no animals showing visible signs of sickness or disease will be permitted in the convention center. This rule is strictly enforced regardless of the possession of a health certificate. Our Animal Health Committee will monitor the animals throughout the convention. Any animals showing visible signs of sickness or disease will be removed from the exhibit to an isolation area.
13) Are health certificates required if I am flying to Reno? Most airlines require health certificates for rabbits and cavies which travel by air. Check the individual requirements for each airline.
14) I enter shows all of the time, do I have to buy a convention catalog? When submitting an entry you must agree to the rules of the convention that are published in the catalog. Ignorance of the rules is not an acceptable reason if found in violation. The show catalog is over one hundred pages and is your guide to all convention activities including showroom classes, awards, youth activities, conferences, banquets, contests, banquets, hospitality events, tours, schedules, maps, and much more. It includes all order and entry forms, ballots, and other important information. The official rules in the catalog are special to an ARBA convention and every exhibitor is required to know them. Therefore it is highly recommended that every household purchase at least one convention catalog to use as a reference. Each year, an exhibitor may have a dispute or misunderstanding that can be traced to them not having read the show rules or show information. Catalogs can be ordered as print copies or online E-catalogs.
15) The hotel I wanted to stay at is sold out, now what? Please visit the accommodations page. There are plenty of overflow hotels at affordable pre-negotiated rates. You may also consider asking the hotel if they have a “waiting list” if they get any cancellations.
16) Wow that is a cool logo for the show! When can I buy official logo merchandise? Please visit our logo merchandise booth at the convention early for the best selection or shop in our store on this website.
17) Will I need to pull my kids out of school for the youth contests? Probably. Some youth team, judging, and breed ID contests happen on the first Sunday of the convention, however, the Royalty contests go on through Tuesday. Please see the catalog for an official detailed schedule.
18) If I ship my rabbits to Reno as air freight, can someone pick them up for me? Yes, subject to availability, you can make arrangements for us to get your animals to the showroom and cooped at no charge if you will not be attending. There is a small charge for this service, please see the catalog for details and the contact person.
19) Do I need to list my name along with my child’s entry? No, create an account for each child and only enter youth animals in the youth exhibitor’s name since it is a violation of the rules for adults to enter in the Youth show.
20) What is a badge for Rabbitcon? A Rabbitcon badge is not required to enter the ARBA convention or to have access to the showroom but it is needed if you wish to attend the special educational conferences on Friday and Saturday. Choose to attend one or all conferences, the price is the same. Sorry, individual conference badges are not available. Please review the convention catalog and plan out your week as there are many events and activities. It may not be possible to participate in every activity. Please note that IDs will be checked at the door. Purchase your tickets as early as possible to get the best pricing. Prices increase closer to convention or at the door.
21) Can I hang things to decorate my coops or advertise my animals?The nearly 100-year history of the show is primarily an exhibition of animals. The cages should be as plain as possible so that attendees can see the animals, not the distracting decor. Only business cards or small advertisements that do not exceed 4″ x 6″ x 1/4″ thick are allowed on a coop provided they are removed after the exhibition. Any other signs, banners, curtains, yarn, bells, wood, or any other items will be removed by show staff and discarded.
22) Will I get a parking pass in the mail before the event? You can purchase a parking pass with in and out privileges online at the same time you enter. You will not need a pass to enter the fairgrounds for check-in. You can use your confirmation sheet to show the guard upon your initial arrival. Your parking permit will be provided at check-in. The pass must be visible in the car during the event. Otherwise the current daily fee without in and out privileges. If you are staying at the headquarters hotel, you may decide you do not need to drive to the convention center and park each day since you can take the skywalk. Please remember, whichever you choose, there are no refunds if you decide you do not want your parking pass.
23) What are the options for flying my rabbits? Please see our Facebook page for current information on flying animals.
24) Do I need risers and what is the coop size? A riser is a raised wire grid platform that keeps your rabbit out of the bedding material (pine shavings). It is not a requirement but increasingly people like how they keep the rabbits sanitary. If you do want one, the vendors will have them available.
Official Coop Sizes
3 Hole Small
Length - 45”
Hole Size - 15” x 14”
Door Size - 7 3⁄4” x 7 3⁄4”
Britannia Petite, Dwarf Hotot, Netherland Dwarf, Polish
4 Hole Small Plus (6-L)
Length - 69”
Hole Size - 14” x 18”
Door Size - 9 1⁄2” x 16”
Fuzzy Lop, Dutch, Dwarf Papillon, Florida White, Havana, Himalayan, Jersey Wooly, Lilac, Lionhead, Mini Lop, Mini Rex, Mini Satin, Silver, Standard Chinchilla, Tan, Thrianta, Single Fryer, Velveteen Lop
2 Hole Medium
Length - 45”
Hole Size - 21” x 21”
Door Size - 9 3⁄4” x 16”
American, American Chinchilla, American Sable, Argente Brun, Blue Holicer, Belgian Hare, Beveren, Californian, Champagne, Chzech Frosty, Cinnamon, Creme D’Argent, English Spot, Harlequin, Hotot, New Zealand, Palomino, Rex, Rhinelander, Satin, Silver Fox, Silver Marten, Meatpen, Stewers, Roasters,
2 Hole Large
Length - 54”
Hole Size - 22” x 25”
Door Size - 11 3⁄4” x 14 1⁄4”
English Angora, English Lop, Flemish Giant, French Angora, French Lop, Giant Angora, Giant Chinchilla, Checkered Giant, Satin Angora
4 Hole Small Plus (KW) Length - 60”
Hole Size - 15” x 18” Door Size - 9” x 12” Holland Lops
4 Hole Cavy Coop Length - 48”
Hole Size - 12” x 18” Door Size - 8” x 8” All Cavies
Disclaimer: The coop sizes are based on the most reliable information but are subject to change depending on the final entry. Vendors will have risers available for preorder or at the show.
25) Can I bring animals that are not entered in the show? The ARBA Convention is a formal exhibition of animals. Animals that are not officially entered in the show are not permitted in the showroom or on the fairgrounds. Animals that are not entered must stay at your home or hotel. No animals may be left in automobiles or trailers parked on the fairgrounds. The show rules call for a forfeiture of entry fees, expulsion, and possible fines for violators.
26) Can I use my “scratch coop” to offer an animal for sale? Please see answer 25, above. No animals are permitted in a so-called “scratch coop” unless that animal was properly substituted into the show and the substitution fee is paid. Please be mindful of these rules.
27) What is the dress attire for the banquets? Relax and come as you are. Many perennial exhibitors take pride in getting dressed up for the banquets, please be assured there will be a wide array of dress from the coat and tie for the gentlemen and dresses for the ladies alongside folks in jeans and dress shirts. Come and have fun but do not worry.
28) I noticed this year’s convention is being hosted by a nonprofit organization. Can you tell me how I can support their work? CRCS has an educational mission with outreach to youth and the general public about proper rabbit care, genetics, and exhibition. Please attend the 12th annual Rabbitcon, our premier educational event. Also, your donations and volunteer support go a long way in achieving our mission.
29) What are the official convention colors? Our booth and drapery colors will be black and teal.